Friday, June 29, 2012

Hobbies. I've Got Them.

We've all got them. Those things we do just to entertain ourselves. And some of us, myself included, have quite an assortment of them. Personally, most of my hobbies are solo, mostly crafty endeavors. If you know me at all, you know that I often spend a LOT of time knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilting, scrapbooking, taking photographs, reading, blogging and who knows what else. And people probably wonder how I manage to find time to do all of these things.
Well, truth is, I don't. There was a time when if I had a free weekend, I would plan to hit every single one of my hobbies for at least a little while. I'd work on all of my little projects and feel quite satisfied at the end of the day.
Nowadays though, I find myself doing the exact opposite. I pick ONE hobby and become obsessed with that one thing for hours, days, weeks, months... And thus neglecting the rest of my hobbies. Last fall I went through a MAJOR knitting/crocheting phase... and it paid off too. I made hundreds of dollars from my Etsy store. (YAY! I love Etsy!!) And then I got pregnant and did absolutely nothing for awhile. Except sleep. And throw up. (You needed to know.)
I was really into making stuff for Garrett for awhile. In two or three obsessive spurts (with lots of sleeping and throwing up in between) I made him a beautiful faux chenille baby blanket that I'm really happy with.
But, a lot of my other hobbies have gotten neglected as of late. I haven't scrapbooked in God knows how long... much to Danny's annoyance, because I collected loads of stuff in Australia JUST to scrapbook and he's worried that it will all get lost/ruined/forgotten about. (Maybe HE should start scrapbooking!) I haven't blogged (obviously). I barely take photos (even though I got an awesome camera case for Christmas.) And read a book? Yeah, that wasn't happening.
Until recently.
Suddenly, it seemed like EVERYONE I know was the biggest book worm ever. And they were all talking about their awesome books, and I was like "I read! I like reading! And I like those kinds of books too!". So I picked up the Hunger Games. And then Catching Fire. And then Mockingjay. (in the middle of that one.) and then I went out and tried to find aaaaaaalllll of the young adult dystopian fiction. All of it. I can not get enough. And it starts again. Obsessed with one hobby. Neglecting the rest.

So, I ask you, my probably-non-existent-at-this-point-because-I-neglected-to-blog-audience, help me bust out of my one-hobby rut!! How do I do it? Preferably before I give birth to my son and HE becomes my one obsession and I never craft or read or sleep or do anything productive ever again.

Give me your time management advice.
Or order something from my Etsy shop so I have a reason to craft that I can't deny.


Or suggest a good young adult dystopian fiction novel. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment